Monday, August 10, 2026

Food Resources

I just found out about another program to help low income senior citizens experiencing food insecurity. It's called the Senior Farmer's Market Nutrition Program. It's run through the USDA and is in addition to SNAP-allowed "Double Up Food Bucks" program. It provides a one time annual grant in voucher form of $50 to use at authorized farmer's markets, CSAs, roadside stands, and even a few grocery stores.

Now, fifty dollars isn't life changing, but it's assistance I'm not going to turn down. If you live in a state that participates with the Double Up Food Bucks program, this is going to mean $100. I'm a lifelong vegetarian, and just can't afford to buy any fruit except apples and bananas these days, so I'm looking forward to having a bit more variety in my diet.

Requirements: Age 60+, and you must be at or below 185% of the FPL (below $29,500 for a single person). If you are already enrolled in SNAP, you are probably eligible at least with the financial requirement. There are some complicated carve-outs for those who are disabled. The program runs seasonally between May and November.

 Note: Double Up Food Bucks does not operate in all states. Contact your representatives and ask/demand that they participate!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment